Member Job Opening
Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Job Title: Payroll and Benefits Specialist
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Human Resources/Finance
Reports to: Director of Human Resources; dotted line to Accounting Manager
The Night Ministry is a Chicago-based organization that works to provide housing, health care and human connection to members of our community struggling with poverty or homelessness. With an open heart and an open mind, we accept people as they are and work to address their immediate physical, emotional and social needs while affirming their sense of humanity.
Position Summary: The Payroll and Benefits Specialist is responsible for administrative back end payroll functions, onboarding and will be the primary contact for all benefits administration and enrollment.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Must have expert knowledge in employee benefits and the ability to analyze and compare plans, make recommendations when called for regarding plan offerings, and the ability to explain benefits in lay terms to employees in order to facilitate decisions at both the management and employee levels.
- Create vendor requested benefits census and other data entry accurately.
- Reconcile benefit vendor invoices to HRIS system and follow-up with vendors as needed.
- Ability to manage vendor relationships.
- Review data entry and follow up with vendors and staff as required in order to meet payroll deadlines.
- Enroll eligible new hires in benefits, by explaining the organization's plan in an easy to understand but detailed manner.
- Serve as the main point of contact for all employees regarding benefits. Must be able to work with C Suite to entry-level employees.
- Manage annual enrollment with accompanying scheduling of on-site vendors
- The primary processor of semi-monthly payroll with 100% accuracy
- New hire set up and other relevant employment changes in the HRIS system (Paylocity)
- Train new supervisors in timecard approval and corrections
- Review and audit time off accruals, annual enrollment deductions and pay increases or other relevant pay changes
- Review, track and correct monthly vendor invoices with required follow up.
- Conduct and assist with new hire orientation, including personnel file creation, maintenance and follow up
- Follow up on all new hire paperwork for agency compliance/government audits; working closely with all HR staff.
- Responsible for front end recruiting on an as needed basis which includes posting positions, applicant database management and phone screens.
- Manage candidate status in the applicant tracking system (ApplicantPro) to comply with OFCCP regulations as well as an awareness of compliance with all federal/state laws and regulations including the organization's Affirmative Action Plan.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- Over two years payroll and benefits experience supporting a matrixed organization
- Mid-level knowledge of HRIS, payroll using (Paylocity, ADP or equivalent); at least two years of daily use
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment while juggling multiple tasks
- Strong initiative, follow up and time management skills
- Organizational skills, attention to detail and deadlines required
- Ability to prioritize but also follow direction and work independently towards a solution i.e. creative thinker
- Work collaboratively with all levels of the organization C Suite to entry level
- Mid-level Excel (data manipulation and analysis)
- Knowledge of government compliance and audits is helpful.
- Non-profit experience preferred
Expected Hours of Work
Monday through Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; climb stairs; crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but may vary at the different locations required in this job.
Compensation: position offers a base salary with benefits package.
*****Requires a cover letter to be considered****