Member Job Opening
To provide warm, fun, and orderly care for young children (generally ages infant through kindergarten) by communicating a welcoming attitude to all and fostering relationships with parents to generate confidence and competency of care.
- Attend to the nursery and its occupants (generally on Sundays from 9:40 a.m. to ~11:20 a.m. and during other special events or services)
- Welcome parents and children warmly
- If the adult leaves the nursery, ensure that a “nursery information sheet” is completed and have them record sign the “nursery drop off/pick up log”
- Inform parents of concerns or questions immediately
- Release children only to authorized adults on the “nursery information sheet”
- If there is need for a diaper change or bathroom request, text the parent and have him/her take the child
- Engage children at the appropriate age level, individually or as a group
- Do not leave children unattended in the space at any time
- Be prepared to implement an emergency evacuation plan, if needed
- Clean and tidy the nursery both before and after each service
- Notify the Pastor if there are any needs or concerns after the service
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma
- Demonstrate at least two years child care experience, preferably in group settings with infants and toddlers
- Basic understanding of good hygiene and hand cleaning techniques
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check
- Signed statement acknowledging individual’s status as a mandated reporter of suspected child abuse and neglect
- Certified in child and infant CPR and First Aid, or completed by one month after employment
- Dependability and punctuality
- Ability to function independently within specified job description
- Openness to constructive feedback from supervisor
- Ability to be pleasant with others while displaying good-natured, cooperative attitude
- Ability to maintain composure even in difficult situations
- Nonmember of Wicker Park Lutheran Church
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- $30 per service; special events as agreed upon based on length of time
- The joy of working with a young, growing, and unique congregation in a trendy, urban neighborhood
TO EXPESSS INTEREST
Contact email@example.com or visit www.wickerparklutheran.org/apply to obtain an application.
About Wicker Park Lutheran Church
WPLC is a diverse and growing Christian (ELCA) community focused on expansive theology. The congregation comprises most age groups, people from a variety of life stages, as well as many ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Every Sunday at 10 a.m. we gather together to worship; our services feature traditional liturgy and sermons that have been described as both deep and accessible. During the service, we offer Sunday school for school-aged children and a staffed nursery. Community service is an ongoing focus, and every month we help feed the homeless and needy alongside The Night Ministry’s Health Outreach Bus. We are expanding our community outreach with fun social happenings such as our Arts Sanctuary event. Our commitment to ecotheology is lived out in many ways, including through our worm composting bins and garden. Our most popular and ongoing Bible study series, called Brew & Bible, involves brewing beer together and relating the flavor profile to a Bible story. We’ve recently launched some new small group ministries including 1) a weekly play group for parents with young children, 2) WPLC Meet-Up that features social outings in the neighborhood, and 3) a book group. Our beautifully restored sanctuary is always open for weddings and baptisms regardless of membership status. We view our building as an extension of our ministry and are delighted to be the home space for many community groups. WPLC is a "Reconciling in Christ" congregation that welcomes and affirms all people regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, national origin, socioeconomic background, gender, or marital status. We’re excited about all that is happening here, and you could be an integral part of our community!
Our Mission: As a passionate, Christian community, we are committed to nurturing and building up the body of Christ through welcoming, creative, and diverse ministries.
Our Vision: To be a thriving Christian presence in metro Chicago, recognized as offering spiritual and social resources in our community.