Member Job Opening
Do you believe kids need to be more creatively inspired in schools?
Would you love to be that change?
We are a rapidly-growing, mission-driven start-up that has already been nationally recognized for our ability to creatively reinvent how students engage with math and science. In our programs, we bring imaginary worlds to life using math and science. We calculate potions in our own Magical Wizarding school, use chemistry to recreate Cleopatra’s beauty products, design tools to survive a zombie apocalypse, and bring imaginary worlds and books to life. We help teachers use these ideas to change learning in their own classrooms.
Working with us, you will have a job with purpose. Every day, students and families will tell you how much they love what you are doing. As one instructor told us, “You basically spend your day playing”.
We are looking for a Creativity Teacher to instruct, and help our mission grow. As we grow, you will grow with us. In this position you will be leading programs for students from Pre-K to 12 years-old, preparing materials for programs, keeping inventory, setting up, cleaning up, and maintaining the instructional space. You will help implement systems and procedures to run programs.You will instruct all Summer Camps, Spring Break Camps, Winter Break Camps, and Day-Off Camps. You will work to test out new projects and experiments to consistently improve our programming.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about challenging the status quo in education and sees this position as more than just a job. You are in it for the long term and you are excited to jump in as necessary.
You are a people-person who is fun, enthusiastic and excited to work with kids. You are also willing to do the dirty work. You are detail-oriented and can accurately cut, build, and measure supplies. You move quickly, can trouble-shoot, and you are eager to figure things out on your own. You are always reading, exploring, and have an insatiable desire to always learn more. Above all, you believe in and can communicate The Laboratory Collective’s mission and values.
– Experience working with kids in formal or informal teaching settings
– Long-term availability with the desire to grow with us
– Able to manage student behavior to ensure safety and respect
– Strong communicator with quick response to emails
– Highly detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
– Self-directed and takes initiative
– Fun, enthusiastic, and excited to work with kids
--Backgrounds in Theatre, Art, Pre-K teaching or Education a plus (Science background not necessary)
– Must be able to stand for 4+ hours and lift 30+ lbs.
All new hires undergo rigorous background checks.
CANDIDATES WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED IF THEY COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING:
1) Send us an updated resume and cover letter explaining why you are interested in working with The Laboratory
2) On a separate sheet of paper, include the following information:
– Which of our blog post/case studies do you find most intriguing? Why?
– Describe a class you had in school that you did not understand or was not interesting. Looking back, what changes would you, as the instructor, have made to make the class more engaging?
– Give and explain one example of how you demonstrate an insatiable desire to explore and learn more.
– What specific unique skills can you bring to The Laboratory to help further our mission?
– What position are you applying for and what days/hours are you currently available?